PDA

View Full Version : roadtrip from boston!

band0lera
02-22-2008, 10:23 AM
hi! im new here....so basically i want to plan aroadtrip. well not PLAN IT. id rather just kind of go, but at least have an idea of whats good to see. well my fiance is mexican, we're currently in mexico waiting for his visa...he should have it by this summer. and id really like to show him the country! we will be in boston so im thinking we can go in the fall for 2 weeks? maybe a little less or more time. any good ideas? i dont think we'll do vermont nh or maine because we're DEFINITELY going snowboarding/skiing in the winter. i was thinking more south. even going by alabama and stuff.

AZBuck
02-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Bienvenido al bordo RoadTrip América foros! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are so many places you can get to in a week from Boston that it would be tough to choose. A few options: the Atlantic Seaboard, the Appalachian Mountains, the Mississippi River, the Great Lakes. You might even not really have to choose. You can do all of those regions in something like 4000 miles of driving, or under 300 miles a day, which is comfortable for a RoadTrip. But if you want to spend more time at your destination(s) and less on the road, then just pick a couple and the logistics become much more manageable. For example, here's a post with a description of two possible routes between Boston and Atlanta, Take two different ones (one down and one back home) and you'd have a great sampler/introduction to the Eastern U.S.

AZBuck

Mass Tim
02-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

If you are thinking of heading South for two weeks, then by all means do it. If you are going to be living in Boston, then you will be very close to Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Vermont. These are all very beautiful states and worthy of trips in their own right, but if you want to save that for some other time then that is fine, too.

Early to mid-Fall is a good time to travel for a couple of reasons - Summer tourist traffic will have somewhat subsided, and the weather is generally not as humid.

You could take a trip mixing in the urban and the rural - New York City, Virginia's Shenandoah Valley and the Blue Ridge Mountains, Washington, D.C. What are the types of things you are interested in? The answer to that question will do more to help you decide what you want to go see more than any other. Some planning will be in order, of course, including determining your vehicle, fuel, lodging, and food, but I see your point, that you are not so much interested in having a set itinerary as you are in having a few places to go and see.