PDA

View Full Version : Illinois to San Jose

azerty
09-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Dear all,

It's great for me to find out this forum. I'm planning a-week trip from Illinois to San Jose in the biginning of October. Our priority would be on scenary routes, since we have a newborn preventing us from all types of more physical activities.

Denver, CO is definitely a stop in our trip. However, I'm hesitating at how to get there (between St. Louis+Kansas City or Peoria+Omaha) and how to go from there to San Jose (between Salt Lake City + Winnemucca or Grand Junction + Las Vegas).

Any comment and idea on which road provides better views are welcomed. I'll also find it useful if you recommend me key attractions on the road so that we can stop by.

Oh yeah, and tips for a-week road trip are also welcomed. I'm particularly concerned with gas, foods, and where to stay during the trip, since we'll go through dessert. I don't know if I'm a bit over-concerned though.

Thank you so much,

Azerty

Midwest Michael
09-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you should be in a real good situation to have an excellent, and scenic trip.

I think your exact starting point in IL will have a big roll in which route I would take to Denver. It sounds like you must be a fair bit south of Chicago, in which case I would probably go through St. Louis. Essentially, if you are already as far south as Peoria, I would just go down to I-70.

Once you get to Colorado, its hard to find a route that isn't scenic. If you have the time to zig zag, I might go up to Rocky Mountain NP, down to Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and then over to Arches. Then I'd get back on I-70 and use US-50 across Nevada to Lake Tahoe and Beyond. Of course, you could stick just to I-70 and find an incredibly scenic drive.

You shouldn't need to worry about finding services too much. There will be some long stretches of open road, but there will still be towns every 50-100 miles in most cases. All you really need to do is make sure that you've got enough gas, supplies, and patients to make it to the next oasis.

Mark Sedenquist
09-20-2007, 11:18 AM
... how to go from there to San Jose (between Salt Lake City + Winnemucca or Grand Junction + Las Vegas).Both I-80 and I-70 are scenic routes, but weather concerns being even -- I will always "vote" for I-70. The stretch between Gypsum and Glenwood Springs is awesome and when you reach Utah -- the section between Green River and I-15 is my favorite Interstate Highway in the country. Here is field report of that area. (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/GettingOutThere/Interstate-70-and-the-San-Rafael-Swell.htm)

Mark

azerty
09-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks so much for prompt responses. So the second part of my plan is pretty much decided. I'm very excited, but it still remains how to get to Denver :).

I live in Urbana-Champaign, so in terms of driving distance to Denver, either I-70 or I-80 is OK. What I'm interested in is if there are things to see on the road. So you recommend me to take the route through St. Louis and Kansas City? What are the best things to see on this road?

Btw, throughout the road, does the cell phone work OK?